[cups.general] no documentation on use

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Feb 12 07:17:15 PST 2005

marc at arctic.net wrote:

> That's part of the problem..... the Mac GUI is tied to CUPS,
> but the details of the implementation are , well, undisclosed.
>
> >> If I go to print from the gui
> >
> >It sounds like your gui is hardwired to connect to the local
> host.
> >Not knowing what program it is, I've no idea if it can be
> configured
> >to look elsewhere for printer information.
> >
> >mjb.

As for MacOS X, it seems that the workstation version is tailored to
successfully supply a single seat installation with means to connect to
the internet via modem, DSL lines, ISDN, and so forth, but all
networking
stuff with respect to a LAN (except for AppleTalk) seems to be
incomplete
or simply buggy.

Searching the Apple site for mote information revealed that most (if not
all
of these problems) are solved with MacOS X Server (which needs a
separate
license for about half a thousand dollars, I think).

Helge

PS: That is from my limited experience with that system; we restricted
its use for special jobs which needs software that does not run anywhere
else.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung