[cups.general] PS Printer barfs on created PS.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Feb 14 06:19:06 PST 2005

clemens at dwf.com wrote:

> I am running cups-1.1.20-11.10 under Fedora2.
>
> I have a pdf file that I am trying to print.
> If let either Acrobat or xpdf generate PS, and then try to print the PS,
> I get a PS error (HPLJ4M+) like so
>
>     ERROR: VMerror
>     OFFENDING COMMAND: string
>
>     STACK:
>
>     (
>
>     )
>     /CIDParams
>     false
>     -null-
>
> and none of the document printed.
>
> If I give the document DIRECTLY to CUPS, it prints, *but very slowly*
> grabbing the printer and printing 2 pages (duplex) every 1-1/2minutes.
>
> Im going to assume that CUPS actually knows more about this printer than
> the PDF programs do, but
>     (1) How can I tell the PDF programs (Acrobat, XPDF) the capabilities
>         of this printer?
> and (2) why is the CUPS conversion so SLOOOOOOW?
>
> --
>                                         Reg.Clemens
>                                         reg at dwf.com

It is probably a memory size issue; the "VMerror" indicates this.
Note that the standalone pdftops from the xpdf suite by default
behaves differently to the CUPS filter; you may modify the CID font
handling by appropriate command line options or better by statements
in the configuration file (details see man xpdfrc).
Also note that the said printer is language level 2, thus both pieces of
software have to convert CID fonts into "old fashioned" composite Type1
fonts
which need quite an amount of VM to operate.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung