[cups.general] CUPS and an Epson CX5400 on Debian

David A. Cobb superbiskit at cox.net
Tue Feb 15 12:19:35 PST 2005

Hi,
I'm running Debian 'sarge' - kernel 2.4.27
cupsys 1.1.23-3

My printer is an Epson CX5400 Color Inkjet multi-function machine on USB.
I downloaded the epson driver and set up 'lpadmin' exactly as their
readme directs,
also, I've installed 'foomatic', and it also discovered the printer and
recorded an entry.

My /etc/cups/printers.conf is attached.

Neither 'name' for the printer gives me the ability to print.  If I
submit a job, I get back a job id,
however nothing ever gets to the printer.  CUPS seems to believe the
file printed successfully.

There appears to be a disconnect between the parts that handle printing
jobs and the parts that know the printer is out on the USB.  For
example, the Epson status-monitor program "sees" the printer status and
reports ink levels; if I turn the printer off it "sees" the
communication failure.

The kernel modules for the printer are somewhat problematic.  It's hard
to know what state the driver thinks the USB is in.  By the end of
boot-up, "lp0" is polling the parallel port -- which is empty.

usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 3 ports detected
usb.c: registered new driver usbkbd
usbkbd.c: :USB HID Boot Protocol keyboard driver
usb.c: registered new driver usbmouse
usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver
usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
scanner.c: 0.4.16:USB Scanner Driver
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
printer.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:04.0 to 64
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
NTFS driver v1.1.22 [Flags: R/O MODULE]
NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-6111  Tue Jul
27 07:55:38 PDT 2004
hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-1, assigned address 2
input0: Microsoft Microsoft USB Mouse on usb1:2.0
device-mapper: 4.1.1-ioctl (2004-04-07) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.