[cups.general] Will cups support "secure print jobs" in general?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 15 13:38:13 PST 2005

S Clark wrote:
> On a related note, is there any chance that CUPS may implement
> "IPP-over-SSL"(/TLS)?  It would be nice if print jobs could be sent
> without their contents being potentially "sniffed"...

CUPS already supports this, both with dedicated SSL and with the
HTTP Upgrade protocol.

> I've occasionally wondered if it would be possible to create, say, a
> "mod_ipp" or "mod_cups" module for Apache - then presumably the
> Apache authentication and security modules can also be used without
> having to explicitly write them into CUPS.  Presumably also the same
> module could be used for creating new frontends for CUPS if someone
> wanted to.

I believe that Patrick Powell has done this for LPRng, however doing
it for CUPS would be a major change and would result in a print
service that was likely both substantially larger and slower than
the current implementation.

We looked at implementing CUPS as an Apache module when we designed
1.0, and we opted to do our own HTTP implementation because we didn't
want to overhead, licensing, or requirements imposed by Apache.