[cups.general] Will cups support "secure print jobs" in general?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 15 16:16:13 PST 2005

S Clark wrote:
> I was under the impression that the SSL support was only for the
> admin interface, not for the print jobs themselves. I've not been

Not at all, any HTTP/IPP request can be encrypted.

> able to get IPP-over-SSL print jobs ("ipps"?) working at all at this

No, there is no "ipps" scheme defined, as the IETF didn't allow us
to define a separate scheme and port for encrypted traffic...

> point, though it's admittedly been a while since I tried.  Are there
> any pointers to documentation on getting this to work floating
> around?  The CUPS documentation appears only to mention the
> configuration options (the keys, the "SSLListen" directive, etc.) but
> doesn't seem to describe how to actually get print jobs to go over
> the channel.  Should just setting up the SSL keys and pointing the
> client at the SSL port rather than the unencrypted port be all that
> is require to get this working?

"man lp"

Most commands accept a "-E" option to force encryption of a request.

> (Or perhaps I'm looking at the wrong end of the equation - do none of
> the more common printing clients support SSL print jobs?  e.g.
> Microsoft's presumably limited IPP support?)

I *think* you can use https: for IPP printing on Windows, however
they don't support the HTTP Upgrade protocol needed to do TLS
encryption, so you can't optionally use encryption for some jobs
or requests and not others.