delay between pages

Mike mike at alezan.org
Wed Feb 16 05:59:59 PST 2005

Hi

I am using cups with a laser printer samsung ML-1210. I use the Samsung-ML-1210-gdi.ppd.
My system is sarge with kernel 2.4.29.
ii  cupsys         1.1.23-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cupsys-bsd     1.1.23-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman
ii  cupsys-client  1.1.23-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro

ii  gs-common      0.3.6-0.1      Common files for different Ghostscript relea
ii  gs-esp         7.07.1-9       The Ghostscript PostScript interpreter - ESP

I am wondering why there is a delay between multi-pages printing with cups.

If I create a gdi file with:
gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=gdi -sOutputFile=test.gdi out.pdf

and then send the file directly to printer:
 cat test.gdi > /dev/usb/lp0

It is printed directly with no delay between page.

If I send a job from a windows client through the cups server, the file is printed with no delay between pages.

Whereas, if I send a job with lpr, there is a delay of about 3s between two pages????

The production of the gdi file with gs is not that time consumming, and the cpu is not 100% when printed through lpr.

I can not understand where is the overhead?

Any help will be much appreciated as I am writting books, and waiting so long is quite a pain.

Mike