[cups.general] delay between pages

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Wed Feb 16 06:30:14 PST 2005

Mike wrote:

> If I create a gdi file with:
> gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=gdi -sOutputFile=test.gdi out.pdf
>
> and then send the file directly to printer:
>  cat test.gdi > /dev/usb/lp0
>
> It is printed directly with no delay between page.
>
> If I send a job from a windows client through the cups server, the file is printed with no delay between pages.
>
> Whereas, if I send a job with lpr, there is a delay of about 3s between two pages????

Can you try to run foomatic-rip without CUPS, for example with a command
line like

cat file.ps | foomatic-rip --ppdfile /etc/cups/ppd/<yourfilter>.ppd >
/dev/usb/lp0

Can you also try only GhostScript, but with sending the output directly
to the printer?

gs -q -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=gdi
-sOutputFile=- file.ps > /dev/usb/lp0

Use always PostScript files as input, as CUPS also sends only PostScript
files to the foomatic-rip/ghostscript. If you do not have a PostScript
file, convert your PDF file with the "pdf2ps" command (but in a separate
command line, so that you really only see delays caused by GhostScript
or foomatic-rip).

    Till