[cups.general] Printing status

Simon Gao sgao at sci.utah.edu
Wed Feb 16 10:57:00 PST 2005

Helge Blischke wrote:

>Simon Gao wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I am using CUPS 1.1.23. Everytime after a printer finished printing a
>>job, the printing status always says "Print file sent, waiting for
>>printer to finish ...." for a long time even though "Printer State" is
>>"idle, accepting jobs".
>>
>>Is there something wrong? When doesn't CUPS detect the job has been
>>finised in short time? What can I do to ensure the CUPS retreive the
>>correct feedback from a printer?
>>
>>Simon
>>

>Please tell us the printer's URI and some more details. I suspect you
>are
>using the socket backend. This waits for some indication that the job is
>finished in the printer, and this reply seems to be missing.
>Perhaps you need to edit the JCL stuff in your printer's PPD. Or use the
>hpnpf backend which forces an end-of-job reply provided the printer
>fully supports HP's PJL .
>
>Helge

Yes. All our printers use socket backend. So the url looks like
socket://1.2.3.4:9100/. This has been working without any issue until we
upgraded CUPS from 1.1.17 to 1.1.22. So to me, there are some changes
between the versions that cause the issue. I am very curious about what
kind of changes lead to this problem.

Has it been all the time that HP printers do not send end-of-job reply
to CUPS? Does the previous versions of CUPS not pay attetion to an
end-of-job reply from HP printers? or just ignore it?

Can you give som help in how to change JCL to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Simon