[cups.general] adding a samba printer of another network

RSalles rsalles at rsnetservices.com.br
Thu Feb 17 04:48:06 PST 2005

Luca Ferrari wrote:

>>>I've tried with the netbios name (711), but it does not work. I have the
>>>host in the /etc/hosts file, but maybe samba cannot get the netbios of
>>>the other network. Could it be a samba setting?
>>>
>>>Luca
>>
>>You'll nedd a wins server support running in your samba server to have
>>the subnet browsing facility.
>>########################################
>>wins support = yes
>>name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
>>interfaces = 192.168.2.1 192.168.3.1
>>; exemple
>>########################################
>>It could help you to get rid of this problem.
>>

> I'm going mad. My smb.conf file already contains a name resolve order like the
> above, and more in specific:
>
>        name resolve order   = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
>         wins support         = yes
>
> and my /etc/samba/lmhost file contains:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 192.168.2.19    p19
> 192.168.2.11    711
>
> Now, if I add the printer with the command:
>
> lpadmin -p hp711 -v smb://711/hp711 -E -c ROTEGLIA
>
> where 711 is the netbios name and hp711 the printer share, and then try to
> print:
> echo -en "\n\n\nhello\n\n\n" | /usr/bin/lpr -P hp719
>
> nothing happens.
>
> Please, any idea? I'm really going crazy and I need to solve the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

What the samba log and the cups log says?
If your printer and samba daemon are running in a different subnet
segments, you must try to print from a host in the same segment as your
smb daemon first, and your smb.conf must have an entry relaying
connection to both subnets in the "hosts allow" (in smb.conf) parameter.
Try some connection tests with smbclient (from the linux side) and net
view (from the win32 side) to make sure it's working before you start to
print. Make sure you've enabled the "spool" option, if it's a printer
pluged to a win32 host. If it's a linux host, make sure you have a test
page printed  via cups web admin interface without any error before proceed.

HTH,

RSalles