[cups.general] Re: [Samba] client ip no longer listed in cups page

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Fri Feb 18 13:09:56 PST 2005

Ryan Suarez wrote:
| Greetings Samba Admins,
|
| We use samba 3.0.7 with cups 1.1.20 to serve printing to XP clients.
|
| samba and cups originally sat on the same debian machine.  Due to load
| issues, we've moved cups to a separate debian machine and added the
| 'cups server =' directive to smb.conf.
|
| After this, the XP client IP is no longer listed in cups page_log, the
| samba server IP is listed instead.  We need this information for print
| accounting.
|
| Any ideas?
|
|| Not unless you spool through cupsd running on the Samba
|| box to the remote cups server.
|| cheers, jerry

Greetings CUPS Admins,

As Jerry from samba suggested, I'm now spooling samba printjobs from
cupsd on the samba machine to cupsd on the printserver.

Now the XP client source IP is properly recorded in the samba server's
page_log.  However, on the actual printserver's page_log the source IP is
still being listed coming from samba server's IP.  So this looks like an
issue with CUPS.

Please help.  I need this information for proper print accounting...

Samba server's CUPS config
--------------------------
Browsing On
BrowseAddress 192.168.76.66