HP Design Jet 2500CP Plotter

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Feb 19 07:34:55 PST 2005

Ihab Khoury wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am using CUPS printing that spools the print queues to a windows print server using lpd. Does CUPS support HGL format? Most of the print queus are installed with Postscript support which does not work with HGL format.
> I have users who are trying to plot to an HP Design Jet 2500CP Plotter
> and it seems that the plotter is running out of memory.
> Any input will be appreciated it.
> Thanks

CUPS is by design tailored to convert everything to PostScript, modify
the
PostScript job according to the job attributes, and then, if necessary,
convert the PostScript to the printer's native "language". But up to now
there is no filter that converts PostScript to HPGL.

You could set a line like

*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.hp-hpgl 0 -"

into your plotter's PPD to force CUPS to treat HPGL as the destination's
native language. But then most job attributes do no longer work.

I don't know if somebody has developed an HPGL device for Ghostscript;
if so, you might be happy to use that in combination with foomatic-rip
(see linuxprinting.org).

Helge

PS: if you can afford it, I'd suggest to buy the PostScript option for
your
plotter.
--
Helge Blischke