[cups.general] Re: [Samba] client ip no longer listed in cups page

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Mon Feb 21 08:00:42 PST 2005

Hi Helge,

It works great, thanks! I've set 'cups options =
job-originating-host-name=%m' in smb.conf

cupsd on the printserver still logs the source IP as coming from the
samba server: "oa-e203-e1 sulimanl 409733 [21/Feb/2005:10:54:13 -0500] 1
1 - 192.168.76.64"

However, we use pykota for print accounting, which I believe parses the
IPP headers directly to grab the job originating hostname. It sees the
netbios name of the client and (unfortunately) the samba server IP:
['192.168.76.64', 'oa-e203-14'] But this is something we can work with.

And there is no need to run a separate instance of cupsd on the samba
server.

thanks for your help,
Ryan

Helge Blischke wrote:

Try to add the drective
	cups option = job-originating-host-name=%I
to the globals section in your smb.conf (or %M or %m, wether you want
the DNS name or the netbios name of the client machine instead of it's
IP address).

Helge

PS: let us know if that really works, please.