Using smb backend without clear text passwords

Luís Lobo ellobo at ipb.pt
Mon Feb 21 08:55:52 PST 2005

Hi!

First of all: Great work!

Second: Sorry for the English... it sucks (i'm portuguese)

I have been forced to use a windows machine to make a sort of 'dual stack' cups->windows->hp3500 with my print server.
Problem is, users can get the password from the "smb://username:password@windows/printerName" URL in the printer server.
As i am using ipp to print from clients, so i can't avoid showing the URL to them (i suppose...).
I noticed that cups 'hides' the password if the URL is in the format i refered before, but if you use some intermediate backend (for instance: pykota), the password is visible again :(

Question 1: Is there any way of storing the password, not in clear-text/conf file, but some other database (i think this would be very usefull, something like cups --smb-password foo --printer hp3500)?

Question 2: How do I use the URL for smb if I have an '@' in the password ?

Thanks in advance, best regards,
Luís Lobo