Color Jobs don't show Colors

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Feb 25 05:41:32 PST 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> > damon wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >   I am having troubles printing anything in color through cups and can't seem to figure out how to fix the problem.  There are two printers that I can successfully print to in color from the XP half of my machine (an HP 4600 and an HP4550) but from the mandrake 10 half the test pages (and any other files) come out black and white.  Is there somewhere that I can let cups know that the printers are color or is there some other fix?  Any help would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Damon
> >
> > Look into the printer's PPDs. It may be that they offer a choice to
> > print
> > only b/w (or grayscale). If yes, set the desired default (by lpadmin or
> > the
> > web interface).
> >
> > Helge
>
> Helge,
>   Thank you for the reply.  I hadn't gotten a chance to try this until now, but I am running into the difficulty that the web interface doesn't give me any sort of color option anywhere and I am not having luck with the lpadmin command (have tried things such as "lpadmin -p printer -o ColorDevice=True", which gives no errors but doesn't change anything).  The lines of importance from my ppd file are the following, it seems:
>
> *ColorDevice:   False
> *DefaultColorSpace: Gray
>
> but I can't get lpadmin to change them nor the browser.  Would it be possible to get a little futher help (and is the fact that the ppd file says that this is not a color device the reason that I don't see any options having anything to do with color printing at all?)?
>
> Thanks,
> Damon

If your printer(s) are really color printers, you certainly have the
wrong
PPD. The statements you mentioned specify device properties, and as they
are not bracketed by *OpenUI and *CloseUI, there is no chaynce for user
selection.

To test, you could edit the PPD using a text editor and change these
lines to:
*ColorDevice: True
*DefaultColorSpace: CMYK

(or CMY if the printer uses only 3 color cartridges).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung