[cups.general] Added printer but job sits in the queue

Tom Combs combs at magnet.fsu.edu
Fri Feb 25 08:00:05 PST 2005

Hello,

  First, I am brand new to cups and I'm in the process of assimilating
all there is to know so
  I'm hoping my problem is simple....

  I've started using cups under Fedora Core 3, using cups-1.1.22. I've
added a Xerox Phaser
  2135 by using:

lpadmin -p xrx-a251b -m xrx-a251b.ppd -v ipp://xrx-a251b/ipp -u
allow:all -D "Xerox Phaser 2135" -E

   Where xrx-a251b.ppd is the ppd file I downloaded for this printer
from Xerox and xrx-a251b is
   the network hostname of the printer. The printer is on the network
and can be printed to from
   other computers.

   The web interface shows the printer and all looks good as far as I
can tell. However, when sending
   a test job, the job just sits waiting in the queue waiting to be
printed but never going to the printer.
   I bumped logging to debug2 but I don't see anything wrong in the
logs. I turned off iptables to
   make sure it wasn't my firewall but that didn't do anything. I also
deleted the printer and added
   it through the web interface but have the same results.

   I was able to get this printer to work from another computer running
Red Hat Enterprise 3.0 basically
   using the steps above.

   I'm stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should check?
This is my desktop computer
   and I'd like to be able to print.

   Thanks!    --Tom Combs

Tom Combs                                  E-mail: combs at magnet.fsu.edu
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory    Phone: (850) 644-1657
1800 E. Paul Dirac Drive                   Tallahassee, FL 32310