lpoptions file and client printing

Brennon Church bchurch at orionmulti.com
Fri Feb 25 10:27:36 PST 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Brennon Church wrote:

>> Is there a way to have the lpoptions from the server work on the
>> clients as well?  Or would I have to copy the /etc/cups/lpoptions file
>> over manually to those clients that need it?  I've been reading
>> through the cups documentation, FAQs, and discussion postings but
>> haven't yet seen this come up.
>

> There is no way to do this automatically through CUPS; you could
> setup a cron job on the clients which uses rsync (or some other
> program) to periodically update the local lpoptions file from the
> server(s)...

Thanks.  That was what I was afraid of.  I was hoping there was a way to
do it without having to set anything up on the client systems.  Part of
the reason I went with cups browsed printers was so that I wouldn't have
to configure anything on the client systems.  Having to do an rsync (or
anything else like that) doesn't fit well with what I was trying to do.

Thanks for your help though.

--Brennon