cups samba question

andi at limberger.at andi at limberger.at
Mon Feb 28 02:02:15 PST 2005

Hello out there,

I have a small but serious problem with the cups postscript driver (CUPS Driver for Windows 5.0rc3) and samba 3.0.9. The cups driver is a windows version 2 driver (for windows NT or 2k) and my xp clients would not install it, tellin' me, that there is a policy and the driver couldn't be installed (by point'n'print install). This happens only, if a Domain User on the machine tries this. When a Domain Admin tries to install, it works fine.

Am I right in the point, that the Cups PS Driver is a kernel mode driver bacause of the version 2 (win nt or 2k)? Are there ways to get it work in version 3. I tried to upload the driver to samba's print$ share and gave the rpcclient adddriver command the "version 3" statement, but it still installs it in the subdir 2, which is for version 2. is there any other solution to my problem, or can anybody help me with this?

It's really bad, because I use the environment (FreeBSD 5.3, samba 3.0.9, cups 1.1.22.0) for a school installation and so, our pupils shouldn't have administrative privledges on every workstation, just to get the printer ready.....

Thanks,

Andi