access_log writes entry every 5 seconds

Bruce McEachern brucem at ccst.us
Mon Feb 28 18:16:18 PST 2005

To all (paticularly EasyS/W):

Why doesn't anybody have a reply for dushik?!? His post has
been up a long time. I have the same question, but a lot
bettere idea of why this is happening: The access_log is
accumulating the KeepAlive "ping"'s from the CUPS control
s/w. While, technically, this _is_ an "access," I am certain
that I'm not the only one that finds it stupid that these
are filling up my access_log. They completely roll all
meaningful records out of the (auto-rotated on size) logs
within 5 mins. (Of course, this obviates the use of the log
for what is is/was intended.) I _don't_ think this is a
RTFM issue, I've been poking around and I don't see
anything that appears to be on-topic. Come on ES/W, please
let me (& dushik) know the solution to this problem. Is it
something _I_ missed? Is something _you_ missed?

I'm admin'g a MacOSX server and this is PITA! The client
sure to soon ask for some fine-grained control over the
printer access: will I have to tell them to dump CUPS?

Bruce McEachern