Brother Cups Driver for OSX

darrylb_au44@yahoo.com.au Darryl
Sun Jan 2 00:59:05 PST 2005

I've been avoiding Brother products for some years now due to their poor Linux support.  However, I am considering their MFC 620CN which would be ideal for my purpose if I can only print from Linux.  I visited http://global.solutions.brother.com/mfc620cn_eu_as/en_us/download/ which shows that a Cups Printer Driver was released on 23 December 2004.  Looking further this is listed as being for Mac OSX 10.3, and is packaged as a binary file with a .dmg suffix, which is apparently a Mac disk image.  This itself presents a problem in trying to mount it and obtain the files.

The only other driver particulars I could find on the site says:

"This driver is a cupsFilter driver.
The Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) is a cross-platform Open Source printing solution for Unix environments. For more information on Mac OS® X CUPS support visit: www.apple.com
With this driver, you can print from native Mac OS® X and UNIX based applications running in the Mac OS® X environment."

Despite these comments and my cursory knowledge of Cups I would have thought it should be possible to use the ppd file under Linux.  I've sent Brother an email but I'm not holding my breath for a response.  Any comments on whether this should work would be most welcome.

Darryl