[cups.general] WinXP - linux cups printing woes

Mr E_T troll at arach.net.au
Wed Jan 5 20:03:29 PST 2005

I am using -
cups-1.1.22
ghostscript-8.15 patched
samba-3.0.4-1

also am serving to WinXp through print$/w32x86/3-
hpz2ku05.dll   - HP Dj 3820 native driver
PSCRIPT5.DLL  + DEFPRTR2.PPD - generic postscript printer
PSCRIPT5.DLL  + hp.ppd - postscript printer with foomatic ppd for dj3820

The drivers are being served properly (as far as I can tell )

the HP native driver works on an XP machine with service pack 1 only but not on the XP machine with all recent updates
the hp ps printer works - BUT I am getting a first page with only 1 line -
%%[ ProductName: GPL Ghostscript ]%%

I also got this with espgs 7.05
%%[ ProductName: ESP Ghostscript ]%%

and I am getting a extra form feed at the end of the job.

The printer works perfectly form linux with cups.

I would like to use a cups-samba driver - but cant find one.

my samba configuration is -
[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = no
        read only = yes
        write list = root

[hp]     ( Cups printer )
        comment = Hewllet Packard 3820
        path = /var/spool/samba/cups
        guest ok = No
        printable = Yes
        printing = cups
        default devmode = yes  ( The hp native drivers crash without this [ drove me nuts ] )

[fax]  ( Not a cups printer - uses generic postscript printer - I assume at this stage that it has same problem )
        comment = Fax
        path = /var/spool/samba/fax
        force user = uucp
        force group = phone
        guest ok = No
        printable = Yes
        printing = sysv
        print command = ( /usr/bin/printfax.pl %I %s %U %m; rm %s ) &
        lpq command = /usr/bin/faxq
        lprm command = /usr/bin/faxrm  %j
        lppause command = lp -i %p-%j -H hold
        lpresume command = lp -i %p-%j -H resume
        queuepause command = disable %p
        queueresume command = enable %p

[global]
        workgroup = XXXXX