cups printing problem

joris joris
Thu Jan 6 02:47:53 PST 2005

I have trouble printing to a HP 4050 on a network. The printer is visible on the network (I can access its webpage), but any job I send to it just remains in the queue forever.

I keep getting the following message:

Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Unable to get printer status (server-error-operation-not-supported)!"

I'm running fedora core 3 and can print to a number of other printers on the same network (also HPs). I've tried every protocol (ipp, http, jetdirect, etc.) in the list offered by the http://localhost:631 interface, but none of them work. Here is my current configuration from /etc/cups/printers.conf

<DefaultPrinter HP1>
Info HP laserjet 4050N
Location EV
DeviceURI ipp://146.175.25.20:631/
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

I'm using the postscript ppd file for HP 4050 from linuxprinting.org.

Does anybody have any idea what could cause this trouble?

Thanks, Joris