cups printing problem

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jan 6 04:28:14 PST 2005

joris, desmet wrote:

> I have trouble printing to a HP 4050 on a network. The printer is visible on the network (I can access its webpage), but any job I send to it just remains in the queue forever.
>
> I keep getting the following message:
>
> Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
> "Unable to get printer status (server-error-operation-not-supported)!"
>
> I'm running fedora core 3 and can print to a number of other printers on the same network (also HPs). I've tried every protocol (ipp, http, jetdirect, etc.) in the list offered by the http://localhost:631 interface, but none of them work. Here is my current configuration from /etc/cups/printers.conf
>
> <DefaultPrinter HP1>
> Info HP laserjet 4050N
> Location EV
> DeviceURI ipp://146.175.25.20:631/
> State Idle
> Accepting Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> </Printer>
>
> I'm using the postscript ppd file for HP 4050 from linuxprinting.org.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what could cause this trouble?
>
> Thanks, Joris

I doubt if this printer speaks IPP; we have several 4050N printers
running here and all of
them are configured with the hpnpf backend (but the socket backend
should do as well).

As an example for the device URIs we use:

DeviceURI hpnpf://name_of_the_printer:9100/TBCP

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung