[cups.general] HP1010 and Minolta USB Printers

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Fri Jan 7 01:10:49 PST 2005

I'm sure there is an obvious solution to this problem. I have a config with
a HP1010 and Minolta USB printers being driven via CUPS/SAMBA on a Fedora
FC1 system.

CUPS or possibly the USB drivers/subsystem in FC1 seems to lose track of
which usb device is which. If the Minolta printer is switched off its jobs
come out as scrap paper on the HP 1010.

At other times CUPS is unable to detect the HP1010 even though it is
switched on and visible in /proc/bus/usb/devices

Is this a generic problem with USB printers? Should I change the Minolta
over to parallel?

Any insight into this would be very handy

Thanks in advance

Ken