[cups.general] cups and pstops...

Wolfgang Wegner wolfgang at leila.ping.de
Fri Jan 7 09:41:43 PST 2005

Hi,

I newly installed cups yesterday, and after having sorted out
the basic configuration, printing somewhat works on a HP CLJ4500.
I can print simple PS documents or pdftops output two-sided
using "-o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble".

However, I do have a problem printing booklets, made from PDF
files using pdftops and pstops, the command for generating the
postscript is: 'psbook | psnup -2 | pstops "2:0,1U(21cm,29.7cm)"'

The file prints, but is printed one-sided regardless of specifying
options like sides=two-sided-long-edge or Duplex=DuplexNoTumble
The same file (generated with the above commands) could be printed
in duplex mode using LPRng (unfortunately, newer versions of ifhp
broke other things), and are also printed two-sided when switching
the printer to duplex mode manually.
"-o raw" also does not change this behaviour.

I used the standard PPD from HP, have tray3, duplexer and 64MB of
memory installed. Printing is over the network using AppSocket.

Does anybody have an idea what I am overlooking here?
Even with log level "debug" I did not get a hint why cupsd
arbitrarily changes print job parameters without warning
me.

Regards,
Wolfgang

printers.conf:
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.22
# Written by cupsd on Fri Jan  7 00:28:05 2005
<DefaultPrinter clj>
Info HP Color LaserJet 4500
Location 10.10.10.15:6100
DeviceURI socket://clj4500:9100