Epson SP R300 only prints from GIMP

ben paley ben at spooty.net
Fri Jan 7 11:03:52 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 Stable. Installed I have

cups-1.1.22.0       The Common UNIX Printing System: Metaport to install
cups-base-1.1.22.0_1 The Common UNIX Printing System: headers, libs, &
cups-lpr-1.1.22.0   The CUPS BSD and system V compatibility binaries (lp*
cups-pstoraster-7.07_3 GNU Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to
libgnomecups-0.1.14,1 Support library for gnome cups admistration
gimp-2.2.1,1        A GNU Image Manipulation Program
gimp-print-4.2.7_1  GIMP Print Printer Driver
foomatic-db-20040107_2 Foomatic database
foomatic-db-engine-3.0.2,1 Foomatic database engine

That's all I can think of that might be relevant. I'm fairly sure my system
is properly set up so that lpr and so on are cups versions and not bsd
ones, cupsd starts properly at boot, and I can run the cups web interface
or connect to the server via kde printer admin.

# lptest 20 5 > /dev/ulpt0

works ok, but

# lptest 20 5 | lpr

doesn't, and neither does anything else (including cups/kprinter test pages)
- that is, I get a reset noise from the printer, but no actual printing. As
far as the spooler is concerned the jobs are ok, as the disappear from the
queue.

EXCEPT... Gimp - in the Gimp print setup I selected Epson R300 from the
drop-down and set the command to "lpr" and it just works, perfectly.

I haven't found a PPD for this printer, so I made one with foomatic-ppdfile

# foomatic-ppdfile -d gimp-print -p Epson-Stylus_Photo_R300 >
~/epson-r300_gimp-print.ppd

and this gives me all the bells and whistles in the dialogues, but no
output!

Can anyone help? I am pretty much going mad here.

Thanks a lot,
Ben