[cups.general] Printer on a parallel port hub, bad output

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Fri Jan 7 12:45:12 PST 2005

I have an interesting problem with an HP DeskJet 932C sitting on port 2
of a Jetdirect EX Plus 3, 3 port parallel hub.  Fedora Core 3 with its
associated Samba (3.0.9) and CUPS (1.2.22) rpms.

If I set up a windows client to print to this thing over straight
TCP/IP, it autodetects that there is a hub there and gives me a dropdown
box to select which parallel port, in this case 2.  Windows test page
successful.  I note that the client is sending raw data to port 9101
(the second port on the hub).

I set up a raw CUPS queue, printing over LPR to that same IP, like so:
lpd://123.123.123.123:9101
Samba carries the same driver that the client has, in fact installed
from the client using the APW.  The print job hits the hub, and the
right printer, however the processing light flashes for a minute or two
and and then one page shoots out with only a single smiley face
character.  I then tried switching the port on the client once it had
been installed as a TCP/IP printer and successfully printed, to the
samba queue as a new local port.  Same thing.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on?