[cups.general] printing to windows printer

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Tue Jan 11 04:12:35 PST 2005

tadek at telus.net wrote:
> Till,
>
> Thank you. It now works.  All installed packages were up-to-date, but I missed installation of some: nss_wins, samba-swat,samba-winbind.
> (I don't know which one resolved the problem. Which one do you think?)

For sure not samba-swat, as this is simply a web administration
interface for Samba, so one of the other two has resolved it. Thanks for
this hint, I will make printerdrake install these two automatically.

> After installing them printer was not printing properly (test page was scrambled), but I quickly fixed it by changing the hp driver from
> HP DeskJet 2000 series-CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.7 (en) to
> HP LaserJet 2100 Series (en).

Did printerdrake automatically choose the wrong PPD or did you manually
choose the wrong PPD?

If your LaserJet 2100 is on the parallel port, please post the output of

cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport?/autoprobe*

If it is on USB, run

getusbprinterid /dev/usb/lp0
getusbprinterid /dev/usb/lp1

With this info auto-assigning of PPDs/drivers to printers gets much more
reliable.

> One observation and one question:
>
> When I used ESP CUPS (localhost:631) configuration tool, and step through modifying added printer, somehow it modifies URI (user/password disappears) and to make printer again I have to delete printer and add it again entering proper URI.

This seems to be a problem (bug?) of the web interface of CUPS. Use
printerdrake or the KDE Printing Manager for now.

> Now question: Kurt Pfeifle's HOWTO (Troubleshooting-CUPS...) in section 'Other Items to Check'is talking about utility cups-config.  It would be very useful to have during my struggle.  Why is it missing from Mandrake package installer?  (I guess I could get it from cups.org, but...)

Install the libcups-devel package ("urpmi libcups-devel"). This package
contains cups-config. I considered it for a development tool as it
provides the paths needed for compiling programs using libcups. Is it
the only way to easily get info about the CUPS version? If so, I could
move it to the cups-common package.

    Till