[cups.general] Printing on a LAN

Mark J. Bradakis mjb at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jan 11 12:32:11 PST 2005

> I would like the second machine to print to the printer attached to the first machine however > I am at a loss as to how it's done.

Kill any cupsd running on the client machine.  Also, the
equivalent of 'chkconfig cups off' on your client should be run.

Edit the /etc/cups/client.conf to have the line

ServerName name.of.print.server

This should be sufficient to allow cups-aware lp* commands on
the client to access the remote printer.  If you get a 'connection
refused' error on the client, then try

telnet name.of.print.server 631

If this is refused, you need to allow access to port 631 on the
server.

mjb.