Canon GP3005-405

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Jan 13 04:42:09 PST 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> Does anyone have any hints for getting this working. I've tried to connect
> using an address like:
>
>     lpd://a.b.c.d:9100/
>
> where a.b.c.d is the ip address. All I can get is a message saying:
>
>     "Network host 'a.b.c.d' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds...INFO:
>     Connecting to a.b.c.d on port 80..."

You are mixing the syntax for 2 different CUPS backends into one.
A port *number* is for the socket://  backend, a queue *name* for
the lpd://  backend. (Backends are different programs in CUPS which
are able to talk to the printers using the appropriate different
"protocol".)

So some correct syntaxes could be:

   lpd://a.b.c.d/passthru
   lpd://a.b.c.d/lp1
   lpd://a.b.c.d/print
   lpd://a.b.c.d/hold
   lpd://a.b.c.d/direct

and

   socket://a.b.c.d:9100
   socket://a.b.c.d:3010
   socket://a.b.c.d:4040

I seem to remember that Canon often uses the "print" and "hold"
queuenames (provided they have a Fiery RIP built in). If in doubt,
use their Windows installer for the driver, and then look what
that one did setup for Windows. Then use the analogue backend in
CUPS.