Network Postscript

Andrew andrew at ncsis.com
Thu Jan 13 14:29:46 PST 2005

I am currently in the process of configuring some pc's to replace some
old WYSE terminals. I need to organise a single key press which will
print a screenshot of the screen to a network printer(HP Laserjet 1100).

To print the screenshot I have tried

xwd -display localhost:0 -root | xwdtopnm | pnmtops | lpr

and

xwd -display localhost:0 -root | xwdtopnm | pnmtops > /home/tmp/tmp.ps
gs -dBATCH -sOutputFile=\|lpr /home/tmp/tmp.ps
#in this case the above creates the proper postscript file, and
#the print job gets sent to the server where page_log also shows
#the job, however still nothing comes out of the printer.

This will print if done from the print server, but not over the
network.

Cups error log on the server shows that the job is being sent to the
printer, however nothing gets printed.
/var/log/cups/error_log

AcceptClient() 7 from 192.x.x.x:631.
ReadClient() 7 POST /printers/HPLaserJet1100 HTTP/1.1
ProcessIPPRequest: 7 status_code=1
ReadClient() 7 POST /printers/HPLaserJet1100 HTTP/1.1
print_job: request file type is application/postscript.
CancelJob: id = 1918
check_quotas: requesting-user-name = 'remroot'
print_job: requesting-user-name = 'remroot'
Adding start banner page "none" to job 2416.
Adding end banner page "none" to job 2416.
Job 2416 queued on 'HPLaserJet1100' by 'remroot'.
Job 2416 hold_until = 0
StartJob(2416, 0x8307890)

[Job 2416] Printer: HPLaserJet1100
[Job 2416] PPD file: /etc/cups/ppd/HPLaserJet1100.ppd
[Job 2416] Printer model: HP LaserJet 1100 Foomatic/hpijs
(recommended)

blah blah blah(searching for header options)

[Job 2416] Renderer process finished
[Job 2416]
[Job 2416] Closing foomatic-rip.
UpdateJob: job 2416, file 0 is complete.
CancelJob: id = 2416
StopJob: id = 2416, force = 0
StopJob: printer state is 3

The network printing works fine if
a) text file is sent
b) ksnapshot or other program sends a postscript file

It appears only to be a problem with postscript sent over the network
from a command line/shell script.

I have also tried the following

xwd -display localhost:0 -root | xwdtopnm | pnmtops > /home/tmp/tmp.ps
gs -dBATCH -sOutputFile=\|lpr /home/tmp/tmp.ps
#in this case the above creates the proper postscript file, and
#the print job gets sent to the server where page_log also shows
#the job, however still nothing comes out of the printer.

Can anyone see what I am missing, or is there some bug/feature I am
unaware of.

Lost and confused

Andrew