Update to Mac OS10.3 password problem - Solution

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Jan 14 02:14:15 PST 2005

Matt Broughton wrote:
> In article <19471-cups.general at news.easysw.com>,
>  Anonymous <anonymous at easysw.com> wrote:
>
> > Anonymous wrote:
> > > Hi there I upgraded to Mac OSX10.3.5 and now my printer Kyocera 1010 has
> > > returned to low resolution. I tried to set 600dpi with CUPS but a password
> > > is required. I never set a password for this "thingy". Even if I log on as
> > > admin I cant get into the Printer setup. Should I buy a PC with longhorn
> > > now?
> > >
> > > Thanks for Your help
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > hello peter. have you found a solution to the above problem? cos i have the
> > same...thanks, michi
>
> There is a known problem with authentication in Mac OS X 10.3.x that
> began with the security update of 2004-04-05.  I have posted a patch to
> my website that will disable that portion of the security update and
> allow access to the administrative functions via the web interface
> without needing a username and password.
> <http://my.vbe.com/~mbrought/ShadowHash_Patch.html>
>
> The cups.org web page <http://www.cups.org/faq.php?16> also discusses
> this problem.  The patch on my site basically takes the route of
> removing the troublesome lines in the cupsd.conf file.
>
> --
> Matt Broughton
> Only relatives are absolute.

Hello, just one trick, in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
at the very end of the filereplace the lines:

#Encryption Required
<Limit GET>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
</Limit>

With

#Encryption Required
<Limit GET>
AuthType ShadowHash
AuthClass System
</Limit>

Then authentication via WWW interface seems to work... don't know who secure it is though....

Best,

Matthias