[cups.general] Re: a List of Canon LPR Queue names and PCL\PS info

Yahoo Mail vince_mchugh at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 08:09:46 PST 2005

> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to print via a networked Canon photocopier (GP300-405). Canon
> are remarkably unhelpful. They offer a 'linux driver' but I'm not sure
> what it tries to do, and it doesn't seem to work - it uses something
> called SQue.
>
> What I know is the ip address of the printer, and that the LPD que is
> enabled. The photocopier speaks both PS and PCL. I'll be plenty happy if I
> can just get PS working.
>
> Does anyone have any hints for getting this working. I've tried to connect
> using an address like:
>
>    lpd://a.b.c.d:9100/
>
> where a.b.c.d is the ip address. All I can get is a message saying:
>
>    "Network host 'a.b.c.d' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds...INFO:
>    Connecting to a.b.c.d on port 80..."
>
> which makes me suspect I'm trying to use the wrong port? Any help anyone
> could offer would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Arthur

Arthur,

       Please check out the web link below, it will give you a list of all
the LPR queue names for the Canon Color & Black and White copiers. You also
want to note that some of the models may have a slightly different
designation depending upon which market they were released in. For instance
the GP300-405 is called the iR400 or the iR330 in the US market. But I am
sure that you could figure that out from the list.

http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/hardware/charts/names.html

      The other thing that you should take into consideration is that many
of the earlier Canon copiers (like the Gp200) had several different print
boards. You will see at least 2 different GP200s on the web link list, note
the different queue names(ending with 200-215 or 200-216).

     You will also have to check whether the GP200 or the iR300-405 supports
PS or just PCL. Many of these models were sold with just a PCL board. For
these models you can typically set them up as an HP4 pcl in CUPS. If you
send PS to one of these PCL only models it will print out pages and pages of
PCL code.

Here is a link to a Star Office presentation I did for a Linux User Group
that you may also find helpful.

http://www.blu.org/meetings/2003/04/

                Regards,
           Vince McHugh