Print blurry, looks like drop shadow on all text?

Trey Ethridge tale at juno.com
Mon Jan 17 12:00:25 PST 2005

Hello all,

I'm having a hard time figuring out why my printed pages look like they have a drop shadow under them.  It's like the printer printed the same line of text twice and the second time it shifted up just a milimeter so that it doesn't line up correctly.

I've verified that the printer works fine when connected to a Windows box, but when connected to my Fedora Core 2 box, the print is blurry.  By the way, that is with the same test page.  I have  samba set up so I sent the same MS Win XP test page to the Fedora box so that I could compare the same piece of paper printed through two machines.

I don't believe the problem to be related to Samba because even the cups test page, jpeg test page, and a4 test page all appear blurred when printed from the local fedora machine.

I'm at a loss over where to look next.  Could somebody tell me how to troubleshoot this print quality problem further?

Thanks in advance,
-- Trey