[cups.general] Print blurry, looks like drop shadow on all text?

Trey Ethridge tale at juno.com
Mon Jan 17 12:40:50 PST 2005

Hello all,

Good points.  The printer is HP5550 Deskjet.  The PPD in /etc/cups/ppd/ is hp5550.ppd.  I'm using the hpijs driver.  I've also tried the hpijs-rss driver, but it didn't fix the problem either.

$uname -a
Linux Otto 2.6.5-1.358 #1 Sat May 8 09:04:50 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The distro is Fedora Core 2 with all updates from atrpms.  I installed the printer using the system-config-printer gui.

# rpm -qa | grep cups
libgnomecups-0.1.6-7
cups-1.1.20-11.9
cups-libs-1.1.20-11.9

The info from localhost:631 states the printer is:
HP Deskjet 5550 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0
The PCFileName: "HPIJS.PPD"

I know there is a lot more that I could post for you guys, but since it's printing, I'm not sure how relavent debug logs and configuration files are at this point.  Let me know if there is anything else critical that I left out.

By the way, Most of the files I've printed through the test page options in the system-config-printer gui, but I've also printed from firefox.  I haven't tried printing from KDE.  I noticed some of the info about KDE so I thought that information might be valuable.

-- Trey