[cups.general] PPD for Epson R300

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Jan 17 16:15:03 PST 2005

ben paley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for the correct PPD file to use with my Epson Stylus Photo R300.
>
> lptest > /dev/uplt0
>
> works OK, and so does printing from the Gimp (I chose the printer from the
> drop-down, and set 'lpr' as the command).
>
> In KDE printer management I've tried two PPD files: one is stphoto2.ppd
> which comes woth cups, I think. The other I made by doing
>
> foomatic-ppdfile -p Epson-Stylus_Photo_R300 -d gimp-print >
> ~/foomatic_EpsonR300_gimp-print.ppd
>
> The former actually prints, but VERY SLOWLY, and it quite often just stops.
> Also, the dialogues are very generic, and lack any of the specific features
> of the printer.

The stphoto2.ppd is a very simple generic PPD which is intended to
support all of Epson's 6-ink printers. Therefore it does not contain
options specific to your particular printer.

> The latter gives me all the bells and whistles in the dialogues, but then
> doesn't actually print anything.

The other PPD file is from Gimp-Print, but generated with "-d
gimp-print" it is a PPD file for the obsolete built-in GhostScript
driver version of Gimp-Print. Try "-d gimp-print-ijs" to get a PPD file
for the current IJS plug-in for GhostScript. But this requires that the
"ijsgimpprint" executable exists in your execution path (this file is
the actual IJS plug-in). In addition, your GhostScript must support IJS,
"gs -h | grep ijs" must produce one line of output.

There is also a CUPS-native driver of Gimp-Print, check whether your
distribution has a package named something like "gimp-print-cups",
"gimp-print-ppd", "cups-drivers", or "cups-ppd". If there is such a
package, there are probably the CUPS PPDs for Gimp-Print inside. Install
this package and you will most probably a third PPD which works and
gives you all options, too.

If all does not work, try the troubleshooting methods shown in

http://www.cups.org/cups-help.html

and/or get a complete Gimp-Print from http://gimp-print.sf.net/

    Till