Ricoh printer

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Mon Jan 17 18:57:51 PST 2005

Brian Ronk wrote:
> Daniel Kasak wrote:
>
>> Brian Ronk wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to get a Ricoh printer to work through CUPS.  Right now I
>>> am just getting: "Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60
>>> seconds...: Success".  I have it set as a Samba share through windows
>>> and it should have access for everyone.  Is this a case of the
>>> drivers not working right?  Thanks.
>>

>> Huh?
>>
>> I'm not even sure from your post whether you have the printer
>> connected to your Linux computer or your Windows computer.
>>
>> I assume you are trying to print to a Windows printer from Linux?
>>
>> What connection string are you using in CUPS?
>>
>> You need to use the format:
>>
>> smb://username:password@windows_server/printer_name
>>
>> If you are using domain authentication, you also have to register your
>> samba install on the domain first.
>>
>> Dan
>
> Sorry.  The printer is hosted off a Windows 2000 Server machine.  I'm
> trying to connect it to the Linux box via CUPS.  The connection string
> is: smb://win_server/RICOH.  It is shared for everyone, so
> authentication should not be an issue.
>
> Brian

Is samba working?

The command 'smbclient -L win_server' should list available shares on
'win_server'.

On our network, I still have to give a username and password:

smbclient -U dan -L win_server

and I'm prompted for a password. Even though the printer is shared for
everyone ( all domain users? ), I still have to authenticate. I think.
It's been a while since I printed this way.

Also, is your Linux PC registered on the domain ( 'net join' )?

Do you get anything in your samba logs?

Dan