Unable to rename printer

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jan 20 04:38:11 PST 2005

sshankar at novell.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am working on gnome-cups-manager, GUI tool for printer management for
> gnome desktop on Linux.
> I wanted to know if there is any way I can change the printer name? As
> of now, I found no way through CUPS to change the printer name. Looks
> like cups is not supporting it, I am not sure. However, this operation
> is like changing printer attributes like name, description, location
> etc, which seems very basic operations.
> Can any of you please clarify me on this issue, if this operation is
> supported, how to go about it? if its not supported, then why is not
> supported although, the operation looks very basic need?
>
> I am using CUPS 1.1.20
>
> Thanks,
> Santhosh

As the printer name with CUPS is part of the device URI, it cannot be
changed.
As a workaround, you could query CUPS for the printer's attributes,
delete the
printer, and add a new one with the new name and all the other
attributes.
As you are going to hide this behind a (GUI-)user interface, I think it
should be
tolerable.

In CUPS 1.2, there will be alias names for printers, I think, which
*can* be modified.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke