How does CUPS support IPP, number-up from kprinter doesn't work for ps job

anonymous yliu0131 at brockport.edu
Thu Jan 20 10:37:45 PST 2005

"Helge Blischke" <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote in message
news:19894-cups.general at news.easysw.com...
> anonymous wrote:
>>
>> I'm using Suse 9.1, CUPS 1.1.20
>>
>> Senario 1:
>> Tried to print a postscript document with kprinter. Set pages per sheet
>> 4.
>> Only one sheet came out with gabbage on it. (Used HP 4345 with HP
>> LaserJet
>> 4300 Postscript PPD file)
>>
>> Verified that kprinter is sending
>> "multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-collated-copies
>> number-up=4"
>> as option.
>> There's also a file in /var/spool/cups/c00712    (ipp control file?)
>>
>> Senario 2:
>> Also tried to priint text file with kprinter, number-up = 4
>> Job prints perfectly with 4-up.
>>
>> Senario 3:
>> Tried to print text fiile 4-up to a file and print the file to a CUPS raw
>> queue. Job prints with 4-up.
>>
>> Question:
>> What's the workflow for CUPS to handle ipp attributes?
>> Based on Senario 2 and 3, CUPS must have applied those ipp attributes in
>> pstops filter? If so, why there's a ipp control file?
>>
>> Question:
>> Does it make a difference on which printing port I use on the printer?
>> socket://ipaddress:9100
>> ipp://ipaddress:631/ipp
>>
>> From CUPS error_log, different backend was launched (socket backend and
>> ipp
>> backend) but it looks like they are producing the same result.
>>
>> Is 9100 port able to handle ipp request?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Post (an URL to) the PostScript file that didn't print correctly. I
> suspect that the PS file
> contains statements that defeat what the pstops filter inserts inbto the
> jov for n-up printing.

I tested three ps files: 3pg.ps, 3pages.ps and tiger.ps. They are posted at
ftp://georgeliuyue.topcities.com
user:   georgeliuyue
pass:   password

I have also uploaded HP4345PS.prn and c00719 (ipp control file?) which is
generated by pstops.
(Created queue, destinate to a file. Print 3pg.ps with 4-up in kprinter)

Thanks