How does CUPS support IPP, number-up from kprinter doesn't work for ps job

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Jan 22 09:02:44 PST 2005

anonymous wrote:

> "Helge Blischke" <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote in message
> news:19894-cups.general at news.easysw.com...
> > anonymous wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm using Suse 9.1, CUPS 1.1.20
> >>
> >> Senario 1:
> >> Tried to print a postscript document with kprinter. Set pages per sheet
> >> 4.
> >> Only one sheet came out with gabbage on it. (Used HP 4345 with HP
> >> LaserJet
> >> 4300 Postscript PPD file)
> >>
> >> Verified that kprinter is sending
> >> "multiple-document-handling=separate-documents-collated-copies
> >> number-up=4"
> >> as option.
> >> There's also a file in /var/spool/cups/c00712    (ipp control file?)
> >>
> >> Senario 2:
> >> Also tried to priint text file with kprinter, number-up = 4
> >> Job prints perfectly with 4-up.
> >>
> >> Senario 3:
> >> Tried to print text fiile 4-up to a file and print the file to a CUPS raw
> >> queue. Job prints with 4-up.
> >>
> >> Question:
> >> What's the workflow for CUPS to handle ipp attributes?
> >> Based on Senario 2 and 3, CUPS must have applied those ipp attributes in
> >> pstops filter? If so, why there's a ipp control file?
> >>
> >> Question:
> >> Does it make a difference on which printing port I use on the printer?
> >> socket://ipaddress:9100
> >> ipp://ipaddress:631/ipp
> >>
> >> From CUPS error_log, different backend was launched (socket backend and
> >> ipp
> >> backend) but it looks like they are producing the same result.
> >>
> >> Is 9100 port able to handle ipp request?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > Post (an URL to) the PostScript file that didn't print correctly. I
> > suspect that the PS file
> > contains statements that defeat what the pstops filter inserts inbto the
> > jov for n-up printing.
> >

> I tested three ps files: 3pg.ps, 3pages.ps and tiger.ps. They are posted at
> ftp://georgeliuyue.topcities.com
> user:   georgeliuyue
> pass:   password
>
> I have also uploaded HP4345PS.prn and c00719 (ipp control file?) which is
> generated by pstops.
> (Created queue, destinate to a file. Print 3pg.ps with 4-up in kprinter)
>
> Thanks

Well, your file 3pages.ps has been made up by the postprint utility,
which is part of
a set of utilities to support PostScript printers (to a certain extent)
with the default
System V spooler. This set of utilities is *not* compatible with CUPS
(not
surprisingly, as these utilities are older than CUPS), especially the
generated files
are not DSC compliant, which CUPS requires to be able to support things
like number-up printing
and the like. Instead, print the text file directly to your print queue
- CUPS's texttops filter
will do all that is necessary, and CUPS's pstops filter will do the n-up
printing modifications
for you. I may be that you need to modify kprinter's configuration (i.e.
perhaps you need to
disable kprinter's own data conversion utilities; I've never used/tested
them).

The file 3pg.ps cannot be "n-up"ed by CUPS as it is not DSC compliant.

Note: As you sample file 3pages.ps shows the beginning of a UserManual
for RICOH's UNIX
printing support - you *cannot* use this RICOH stuff with CUPS; it
rquires LPRng or SysV or
BSD-LPR like spoolers.

Helge

--