[cups.general] Re: Canon iR330 Mailbox function and CUPS

Yahoo Mail vince_mchugh at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 14:21:52 PST 2005

>   1. Re: Re: a List of Canon LPR Queue names and PCL\PS info
>      (Anonymous)
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:35:07 -0500
> From: Anonymous <anonymous at easysw.com>
> Subject: Re: [cups.general] Re: a List of Canon LPR Queue names and
> PCL\PS info
> To: cups at easysw.com
>
> - If this driver is right, Linux client users can use the "mailbox mode"
> of the GP300-405 ?
> - I actually use Windows Server with Windows clients who use "mailbox
> mode": With this driver, can I change for a Linux Print Server without
> loosing this advanced option ?
>
> Regards,
> Pascal

Pascal,

     I just took a look at a Canon iR330 I have set up in CUPS and while it
does allow me to configure the Mailboxes = Enabled and it does allow me to
Select Mailboxes as a destination, I don't see a place to select which
Mailbox to print to. Since there are 100 Mailboxes this could be a problem.
It may just print to the first Mailbox "00", I've seen this happen with a
Windows driver that had a Mailbox problem.

   You mentioned that you use Windows Servers & clients using Mailbox Mode.
You may be able to use a work around by setting up the "Printing
Preferences" of the Canon iR330 on the Windows Server to print to a specific
Mailbox (as well as any other default settings that you require, like
duplex, etc.).  Then make sure that your Windows Server is running Unix
Print Services. This is NOT loaded by default. You could then LPR your
document from your Linux box to the Canon iR330 on the Windows Server. The
Linux LPR print job will pick up the default printing preferences that you
set up. The LPR ipaddress will be the ip address of the Windows print server
and the queue name will be the name of the printer (ir330 or Canon). It's
best to keep the queue name simple.

                 Regards,
           Vince McHugh
    Color Sales Engineer