CUPS windows driver doesnt work

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jan 27 05:00:09 PST 2005

anonymous wrote:

> I have CUPS 1.1.23 on Suse 9.1. I want to config CUPS for driver download
> and share the printer to windows XP client.
>
> cupsaddsmb is successful, when I check /etc/samba/drivers, it lists the
> following files.
> cupsdrvr.dll, cups.hlp, cupsui.dll and the ppd for my printer
>
> From Windows XP client, driver install also successful. (verified from
> log.smbd, those four files are copied)
> Did a search in winXP, those four files are found in
> C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2.
> There's also a file called cups.GID in that directory.
>
> Everything looks fine but when I tries to print, select the printer on
> linux, the print button is greyed out.
> When I tried to select printer properties, it says no printer driver, it
> will start add printer wizard.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks

Somehow the recent cupsaddsmb seems to have a subtle bug. Especially, it
does not
install the files cupsdrvr.dll, cups.hlp, cupsui.dll, as these are the
"old"
(kernel mode) NT4 components, and cupsaddsmb tries to install the new,
not yet released
components or, as a fallback, the original microsoft ones.

I'd suggest to emulate cupsaddsmb "by hand", step by step, as described
in the samba howto,
chapter 19.

Or, if you could afford to wait until Monday/Tuesday next week, you
could get a Perl script
needs Perl 5.8 because of line end handling) that combines these steps.
Drop me an e-mail if you are interested.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung