Performance with large printer database

Patrick Spinler pspinler at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 11:45:59 PST 2005

Hi:

I'm attempting to run a 4 node cups server cluster, cups 1.1.23-1 on
redhat enterprise 3.

Our printer database is currently about 6000 definitions long.  This is
identical on each of the servers.

On the servers, lpstat -a returns a list of all 6000 servers in about 8
seconds.   A wget of the cups admin printer list page returns in about
the same amount of time (although mozilla takes about a minute to parse
and display that page. :-)  ).

As a test, I've set up a solaris 8 and a linux FC2 client, each running
a cups-1.1.23 package, with 4 BrowsePoll directives in each client's
cupsd.conf, one BrowsePoll for each of the print servers.

what I am finding is that when I start the cups daemon on the client, it
immediately shoots to near %100 of the cpu, and stays there for hours
and hours.  during this time, it is wholely unresponsive to any request.
  For instance, I can't do a lpstat, or lpr, or anything, on the client.
  any such command simply hangs.

Please advise me.  What, if anything, can I do?

Thanks,
-- Pat