[cups.general] Re: PCL to PDF conversion

Daniel Hawker Daniel.Hawker at animal.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 01:22:02 PST 2005

Craig,

Went through this exact *problem* last week. We had to try and get one
of our bizarre Linux application servers to output its data to pdf. The
only problem was it created data in PCL format which screwed things up a
bit...

My solution...

Use a heady mix of CUPS and GhostPCL and create your own backend to CUPS
to make it all tie together. When done, you basically send the job(s) to
a PCL-PDF Writer *Printer* and its all done.

If you need to send raw PCL files (not created by an app) to PDF,
GhostPCL has some nice additional scripts that will do this for you via
the command-line, similar to the way Ghostscripts ps2pdf script works.

I have written up a pretty rough *how-to* document. It admittedly is
aimed towards integrating it into our environment, with our particular
Linux based application, however can send you a copy if you feel it may
be of use, just contact me off-list.

HTH

Dan