How to tell if printer is turned on [Linux]

Bill Pratt wallrat_1975 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 11:57:37 PST 2005

I have people continually leaving the printer on for long periods of time wasting energy. Is there a way I can programatically detect that the printer is on? I don't really need examples, simply a point in the right direction would be nice. I poked around /proc but could not identify anything that pertained to the power state of the device. I also looked through the CUPS API and didn't see anything either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Bill Pratt
you can also respond to billp at billpratt dot net