[cups.general] help - screen-printer color matching

David McNab david at rebirthing.co.nz
Sun Jan 30 04:03:31 PST 2005

Hi,

I've been using CUPS successfully on Debian Unstable for years to drive
my Epson inkjet.

But on installing a new HP Color LaserJet 2550L, I've become interested
in achieving a better match of screen colours to printer colours.

Can someone please suggest a way of setting up some kind of 'mapping',
which will help to create colours on the printer as I see them on the
screen?

Is there anything available within CUPS, or separately, eg a filter
which can take .ps files and adjust the colours, before sending them out
to the printer?

It would be great if there was a prog which:
1) prints out a page of colour squares
2) puts up a window displaying those colour squares, and allows me to
    tweak various settings, until the screen colours look as close as
    possible to the printer colours
3) given this information, generates a set of colour maps, which can be
    used in a '.ps filter' prog for subsequent prints.

All ideas/suggestions/links appreciated.

--
Cheers
David