[cups.general] Scanners?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jan 31 02:43:42 PST 2005

Hello,

On Jan 28 16:15 jkrahn at nc.rr.com wrote (shortened):
> I'm wondering if the CUPS network protocol could be expanded to
> cover scanners, sort of reverse-printing? There does not yet
> seem to be a good way to advertise network-available scanners,

I think this is a SANE related question and has nothing to do
with CUPS because even if you made a CUPS backend which receives
an image from a scanner then you would need to send the image
to a user-frontend so that the user can at least view the image
and no printing user-frontend is intended to do such stuff.

What is wrong with the network-scan support by SANE?
See
http://www.sane-project.org/
in particular
http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/

If you are looking for support for all-in-one devices, have a
look at
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/productsmf.php

Regards,
Johannes Meixner