Slow printing to HP DJ1220C

ktan at realityartisans.com ktan at realityartisans.com
Mon Jan 31 18:54:47 PST 2005

I have a dual 2GHz CPU Power Macintosh G5 sending mixed (90% text, 10% graphics) output via TCP/IP to a HP JetDirect 170X with a HP Deskjet 1220C connected via bidirectional parallel cable.  Print jobs take forever (in excess of 30 minutes per page) to print when sending them this way.  However, if I disconnect the 1220C from the JetDirect and connect it directly to the G5 via USB cable, printjobs take about half the time to print.  How can I speed things up while using CUPS and the 170X?  I've tried choosing the Socket/JetDirect option of CUPS from the web management interface at the loopback interface, port 631, and then entering a URI of <FQDN>:9100 and also <IP>:9100 to no avail. I've also tried using the LPD/LPR settings with the 170X's IP address to no avail. Leaving the settings at default don't seem to hurt but they don't improve the snail's pace either.