[cups.bugs] Cupsys printer failures: lost jobs

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sat Jan 15 10:21:28 PST 2005

Tom Allison wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
> > Tom Allison wrote:
> >

> >>This is the debug2 level output for a 23 page document that I was
> >>trying to print.
> >

> > The log you attached said that foomatic-rip did process all
> > 23 pages successfully. Rather than looking at CUPS for the
> > culprit, I suspect that you have a problem with the available
> > memory of your printer.
> >

> Wouldn't the server queue the job pending more memory availability?
> Otherwise I would be forever limited by the volume of the printers
> RAM.

We all are.

> I didn't expect this behaviour.

You still dont tell what printer model you're using. Is this such a
sharply-guarded secret? Are you in the RAF, or MI5?

> Besides, I have managed to print 100+
> pages at times, just not all the time.

So what?

Page sizes in Byte count may vary from 1.000 to 10.000.000 or more.
It all depends on the driver, and the input it receives. But the
driver seems to be a semi-secret, too.

Foomatic sucks on PostScript printers. Most times it seems to
rasterize the pages and sending raster data (again encapsulated
inside a PostScript page definition). That inflates the data
stream.

Use a real PPD for a real PS printer!

[....]

> I'll look into the foomatic
> configuration for this.

Sigh.....

That's not what I said. I said, in effect, and now again: "Go get yourself the Kyocera-provided PPD from your Windows driver
installer CD."

I also said: "Read 'man lpadmin'. Read http://localhost:631/sam.html"

Forget Foomatic. You've got a PostScript printer, man!