[cups.bugs] Cupsys printer failures: lost jobs

pipitas k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Jan 15 13:09:55 PST 2005

Tom Allison wrote:

>> That's not what I said. I said, in effect, and now again: "Go get
>> yourself the Kyocera-provided PPD from your Windows driver installer CD."
>>
>> I also said: "Read 'man lpadmin'. Read http://localhost:631/sam.html"
>>
>> Forget Foomatic. You've got a PostScript printer, man!
>>

> I can't entirely get rid of foomatic.
>
> When I try to configure this printer again, it gives me driver options
> that are like "Kyocera Mita FS-1010 Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)"
> which is the one I've been using.
>
> I guess the cups related question then is how to configure this printer
> to print directly without foomatic filters?  Does that make sense?

Let me re-quote the advice someone else gave earlier:

  "Read 'man lpadmin'. Read http://localhost:631/sam.html"

In my last posting I gave you a link to the correct PPD to use. I
repeat it:

  http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/PPD/Kyocera/current/English/Kyocera_Mita_FS-1010_English.ppd

Download that. Hiere is how you then install a printer most quickly
using this PPD

  lpadmin -p postscript-kyocera \
          -v socket://11.12.13.14:9100 \
          -E \
          -P /path/to/Kyocera_Mita_FS-1010_English.ppd

This assumes the printer has a network interface accessible via the
"socket" protocol (a.k.a. HP Jet Direct), on address 11.12.13.14. (If
it is a parallel printer, use the "-v parallel:/dev/lp0" type syntax).

For your non-PostScript printer, *dont* use the Foomatic/PostScript
PPD either! Use the one referencing "ljetplus" (as was said before).

And finally: please submit a bug report to Linuxprinting.org for

  a) having a perfectly suitable PostScript vendor PPD from Kyocera, but
  b) still recommending some sort of foomatic for that PostScript model !

Cheers,
Kurt