[cups.general] octet-stream / raw problem

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jul 1 01:07:36 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Jun 30 14:42 Anonymous wrote (shortened):
> The print jobs are in compressed afp format (icds)...
> We have a filter which converts the icds to ps.
> The Problem we have is that it seems the cups servers
> change the application type from octet-stream to vnd.cups-raw.

Which mime type the cups system detects depends on the entries
in /etc/cups/mime.types

It seems the compressed afp format matches to the rules for
application/vnd.cups-raw in your /etc/cups/mime.types

Add a matching special rule for "compressed afp format"
in /etc/cups/mime.types like

application/afp-compressed ...

Read the comments in this file how to define the rules
and note that the mime types are tested in alphabetically
sorted order - i.e. make sure that your new mime type is
alphabetically before application/vnd.cups-raw

And add a matching filter entry in /etc/cups/mime.convs like

application/afp-compressed application/postscript 10 icds2ps

where icds2ps must be located in the directory where CUPS
has its filters (e.g. /usr/lib/cups/filter/).

For details see for example
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/06/jsmeix_print-cups-filters.html

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner